This all-day workshop, held on November 16, 2015, provided hands-on experience in applying the evidence‑based recommendations in the Teaching Math to Young Children practice guide.
PreK and kindergarten teachers, program directors, coordinators, other early childhood practitioners
Arkansas and New Mexico Prekindergarten Research Alliances
Janice Keizer, Alliance Liaison
- Agenda (672 KB)
- Introduction and Opening Remarks (1.1 MB)
Janice Keizer, REL Southwest prekindergarten alliance liaison
- Main Presentation: Meaningful Math in Early Childhood Education (1.8 MB)
Dr. Sharon M. Carver, Director of the Children’s School, Carnegie Mellon University
Handouts and Practice Guide
- Handout: Meaningful Math for Young Children (378 KB)
- Handout: The Math of Celebrations (429 KB)
- Handout: Useful Math Books (373 KB)
- Handout: Online Math Resources (409 KB)
- Teaching Math to Young Children Practice Guide, What Works Clearinghouse
Related Archived Webinar
Join us for a hands-on workshop on the Teaching Math to Young Children practice guide, produced by the What Works Clearinghouse. Sharon M. Carver, Ph.D., director of Carnegie Mellon's Children's School and coauthor of the guide, will lead participants in applying practical methods for increasing young children’s knowledge, literacy, and competency in mathematics.
- Increased working knowledge of instructional practices for teaching math to children ages 3 to 5
- Better understanding of how to increase young children's awareness of mathematical concepts in everyday life
- Better understanding of how to encourage children to describe math ideas in the world around them through the use of informal, and gradually formal, representations and language
- Increased knowledge of ways to build children’s math vocabulary
The practice guide is designed for teachers, administrators, and other educators interested in helping young children build a strong foundation of math understanding. Each recommendation includes implementation steps, examples, and solutions for overcoming common roadblocks.
The following practice guide, produced by the What Works Clearinghouse through the Institute of Education Sciences (IES), provides the basis for the workshop.
- Frye, D., Barood, A. J., Burchinal, M., Carver, S. M., Jordan, N. C., & McDowell, J. (2013). Teaching math to young children: A practice guide (NCEE 2014-4005). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance (NCEE). Retrieved from NCEE website: http://whatworks.ed.gov