This keynote address, delivered June 20 at the 2016 Effective Border Schools Conference, described research-based practices to support English learners at different levels of proficiency.
Monday, June 20
1:00 – 1:45 p.m. CT
Teachers, administrators, district staff, and education service center staff working with English learners
English Learners Research Alliance
Linda Cavazos, Alliance Liaison
More than ever, schools need effective methods for serving the diverse needs of English learner (EL) students. In this free research-to-practice bridge event, Diane August, Ph.D., a leading researcher in the field, will describe and model effective ways to differentiate content-area instruction for ELs, with an emphasis on middle and high school students.
- Research-based routines and scaffolds to help English learners master core academic content
- Methods to help English learners acquire language proficiency in content‑area classrooms
- Methods for supporting English learners' vocabulary development, text comprehension, and writing
REL Southwest is partnering with the Effective Border Schools Conference to sponsor Dr. August's keynote presentation, which is free and open to the public. Registration through this page is for the keynote presentation only.
The following resources present Dr. August’s recent work in this area:
- August, D., Artzi, L., & Barr, C. (2016). Helping ELLs meet standards in English language arts and science: An intervention focused on academic vocabulary. Reading and Writing Quarterly, 32 (4), 373–396.
- August, D., Branum-Martin, L., Cardenas-Hagan, E., Francis, D. J., Powell, J., Moore, S., & Haynes, E. F. (2014). Helping ELLs meet the Common Core State Standards for literacy in science: The impact of an instructional intervention focused on academic language. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 7 (1), 54–82.
- August, D., McCardle, P., & Shanahan, T. (2014). Developing literacy in English language learners: Findings from a review of the experimental research. School Psychology Review, 43 (4), 490–498.
- August, D. L., & Haynes, E. F. (2014). Helping ELLs read and write to grade-level text. In P. Spycher (Ed.), Common Core State Standards in English language arts for English language learners: Grades K–5 (pp. 97–111). Alexandria, VA: TESOL Press.